Calamity Kate Interview with
Award winning media artist. Burlesque performer. Pro Wrestler.
Ring name: Calamity Kate
Date of birth: January 6th
Birth place: St. Albert, Alberta
Debut: April 2016
Trained by: KobraKai, Nicole Matthews, The Great Kasaki
Finishers/ Signature Moves: Scorpion Leg Drop (finisher), Back handspring elbow, The 'Ball Splits" (where I do the splits and kick my opponent in the balls.
- When and how did you get into Pro wrestling?
I got in to wrestling through burlesque. I've been a burlesque performer for over 10 years and decided to give wrestling training a try. As soon as I stepped foot in the ring, I was hooked!
- Did you family and friends support your decision or were they rather sceptic?
My parents didn't like me wrestling at all. They wouldn't even come see me do a match because they didn't want to see me get hurt. They're now accepting the idea that this is something I do and it's not going away! My sister, cousins and friends are very supportive.
- Can you still recall your first training sessions?
I do. I remember just laughing a lot because it was so new to me and I was having a ton of fun. I felt like it was a good place for me to blow off steam.
- And what was it like to wrestle in front of a live crowd for the first time? Were you nervous?
I was so nervous my first time and basically that feeling hasn't gone away. I get the worst butterflies in my stomach. But I do remember being terrified that I would hurt myself. Luckily, I didn't!
- Do you have a ‚dream opponent‘ you want to fight above all others?
My dream opponent would be Charlotte Flair. She's such a brilliant performer and I think I'd learn a lot from working with her.
- Do you have Pro Wrestling idols, maybe people who have influenced your in-ring style? Or Childhoodheroes?
Rey Mysterio had a big influence on me. I'd watch his matches and then got the the wrestling gym and be like "show me this" and "show me that" based on moves that I saw him do. I love the lucha style of mixing fighting with acrobatics. Of course, growing up in Alberta, the Hart family were huge for us. We grew up loving Brett and Owen.
- You are not only a Pro Wrestler Kate, you also a Part of "The lost Girls Burlesque" What can you tell us about?
Yes, I'm a burlesque performer. I've been obsessed with dancing since the age of three and I found that burlesque was a way for me to continue dancing as an adult.
- Wrestling Fans loves funny or thrilling road stories.
One time when I was on tour in Mexico, I wrestled at a huge Motorcycle rally and hopped on for a ride with one of the bikers. We rode around the city and got lost but found ourselves at a hole-in-the wall cantina bar where I drank margaritas and sang karaoke all night with the locals. It was a surprise and a lot of fun!
- When a booker or company from your Country or around the world will book you where can they contact you?
Usually, I get a lot of Instagram messages or Facebook messages. I always respond to bookers and fans and they can feel free to reach out to me any time. I love hearing from people! You can also reach me through my website: www.calamitykate.ca
- Thank you very much for your time, do you have some words for your fans?
I love when fans reach out to me or comment on my posts. You can follow me on social media at:
m/u by Justine Sane Head Mistress Hair Loft