Since June 2007 Non Commercial Fanwebsite
Darren Swain is known for "Merlin" , "King Arthur: Excalibur Rising" , "Jurassic Predator" and many more.
- Thank you Darren Swain for your time for the Fans.
- You started your career 2012 in some series like Merlin and some Short Movies ,
what moved you to become an actor?
For me,I've always wanted to become an actor from a young age,but was always talked out of it by the usual quotes, "why don't you get a proper job", "you'll never make it" etc. So I put it to the back of my mind and learnt a trade,which in hindsight was a good call,it's good to have a trade to fall back on, remember my father telling me that.
In 2012 I came to that old crossroads. I was made redundant,so that security of work was no longer secure, so I was thinking what the hell am I going to do for work now. So I applied with various S A agencies working on various productions as I wanted to see what life was like on set,watching the actors at work, I realised what I wanted to do, I wanted a piece of the action. I then took up drama classes of an evening in order to gain some confidence etc, along with applying for everything anything online such as short films.
- In Merlin you worked as Saxon swordsman . How did you get cast for the series?
I was originally cast on Merlin as an S A, as time went on, I remember they asked 60 of us to perform a fight sequence
Which I was lucky enough to be picked along with another 4. From then on, I was working with the stunt team including choreographing fight scenes between myself and the main cast. As time went on, the director noticed me in frame and mentioned "good acting", I tried to stop smiling, honestly 🤣, so my role got more and more cast
- Could you share some funny, remarkable, weird stories regarding the filming of your scenes?
I remember filming a documentary which was based on the Titanic's band, which was presented by Suggs. I played J L Hulme playing a cello I think. It was the end of the day and everyone wanted to go home. I was given my cello, but no now, the other band member next to me was given his violin but no bow, there was two ladies in front supposedly watching us play. We are all chatting away to hear "we are going for a take" so we pipe up "we've got no bows", with that "ACTION", I looked at my band member to the side, he looked at me, we both looked at the ladies in front,they looked at us, so we both started playing the bongos on the case of our instruments. It didn't go down too well, especially when everyone was weak with laughter.
- 2017 you worked as General in "King Arthur: Excalibur Rising" . Did you like work in middle Ages Movies/Series?
I did play the General in King Arthur, yes, I enjoyed it, the dialogue is somewhat different and was good to experience that difference as I like to challenge myself, but I would love to do more period stuff.
- You worked over the years in many other series and movies like "Werewolves of the Third Reich", "The Manson Family Massacre" and many more. What was your personal highlight as an actor so far?
Oof,that's a tricky one, for me,I've loved every experience in front of the camera,but I do love your average cockney,so probably playing Whitlock in Jurassic Predator. I love the cockney gangster theme,so I keep pushing for that kind of role.
- Darren you worked right now also as stunt preformer in "Valetika" thats right?
I did work as a stunt performer on Valetika, yes. It was a great production and got to work with the famous Samuel Kwok! 👊👌
- Do you still have a dream of a movie or series you would love to play?
My absolute dream would have been to perform in Game of Thrones,but unfortunately that has come to an end,although I hear they are bringing a new series about Jon Snow,so who knows 😉I was fortunate to get a couple of weeks stunt work on House of the Dragon last year though,so I can't complain
- What does the future hold for you? Anything you would like to plug to our readers?
Regards the future,it is unknown,but it's not the end for me as yet,I do have a couple of documentaries in the pipeline for this year,I'm also keeping up my martial arts training and keeping in shape which is a full time job in itself. My absolute goal is to gain a lead action role in film,it's on my list and it will get crossed off
- Thank you Darren Swain and all the best for your future and i hope to see you one day in Germany.
Thank you Bernd Lorenz, it's been a pleasure