Jayson Warner Smith
Interview with Gavin from The Walking Dead
Atlanta native Jayson Warner Smith is an actor in film, television and theatre. He started in theatre at age nine and since that time, Jayson has been in a play a TV show or a film every year of his life.
- Thank you Jayson Warner Smith being my guest. How did you get your role in the AMC Series The Walking Dead as Gavin?
The same way all of the supporting roles did. I auditioned. I had been auditioning for many different roles since season 2.
- Did you watch the show or read the graphic novel, prior to
your casting to The Walking Dead?
Watched the show. Mainly to just know what the deal was and to see who of my friends were being cast in Atlanta. Then I got hooked.
- Working in The Walking Dead will be a dream for every
TWD Fan, what can you say about working with some of the guys?
It’s pretty much like any other TV show. You have the series regulars and then you have the supporting cast. If you have a recurring supporting role as I did, you become a “kind of” family member while you’re on the show but once you’re dead you’re pretty much forgotten about. It’s like marrying into a family and then getting a divorce. When you run into your ex’s family, they're pleasant but they aren’t sending you Christmas cards.
- How much has the series The Walking Dead and your part as Savior Gavin influenced your life? Can you go outside unrecognized ?
No one recognizes me anywhere except at conventions.
- Describe your preparation for playing this character…
I learned my lines and showed up with ideas.
- Over the years you worked in many series and movies like TWD , Queen America , NCIS N.O. ,Sleepy Hollow and many many more. What's your favorite role so far?
Gavin was a great role. Not so much because it was challenging but because of the temporary notoriety it afforded me. Wendall Jelks from Rectify was a very challenging role on one of the best TV shows ever made. I will always be proud of my small part of that amazing show.
Bill Cooper in American Made is by far the most enjoyable role I’ve had the honor to play in film or TV. I was on set for 7 1/2 weeks. Worked intimately with Doug Liman and Tom Cruise and Ray Angelic. I made one of my best friends Mark McCullough while there and … we got to fly planes!!! We also traveled to Colombia S.A. and flew planes down there too.
- 2014 you had a little part in The Vampire Diaries as Dean , that's right?
- Is there a dream role or actor/actress you would love to work in/with into the future?
Not particularly. I’d like to get to work with my buddy Walton Goggins someday. I’d like to reunite with Ray McKinnon as well. Mainly I’d very much like to portray a meaningful series regular on a powerful TV show. A Tarantino or Wes Anderson film role would be cool.
- Are you currently working on anything interesting Movie or Series outside "The Walking Dead" that you can reveal? On IMDb are some post-production.
I film on a project called Final 48 this month. That’s it right now.
- Jayson Warner Smith at the last you can say some words to your fans. Is there anything else you would like to let The Walking Dead Fans and your fans know?
I will forever be in debt to the great folks who religiously follow and enjoy TWD. They’ve made my life different than it ever would have been otherwise. As someone who doesn’t believe in an afterlife, doing and experiencing everything I can while I’m alive is important to me. I’m all about experiences as opposed to things. The fans have made the experience excellent.
- Thank you being my guest and best wishes for the future. I hope to see you one day in germany.
You’re welcome and thank you. I’d love to come to Germany. Let your local cons know!