Kelley Mack - Interview - I get scared easily
Thank you Kelley being my guest. How did you get your role in the AMC Series The Walking Dead as Addy?
Glad to chat with you! I got it pretty much like any other role. My agent sent me a self tape request, I taped and sent in my audition, and then a week later, I was asked to read the same scene again, but with a different character description (which was a more tomboy, bespectacled type character).
Then, my agent called me a week after that saying I was their pick for the role, but that they wanted me to send over my demo reel first. So I sent it over, and then later that day, I was booked! I flew to Atlanta that night and had my fitting the very next day, on my birthday!
- Kelley, did you watch the show or read the graphic novel, prior to your casting to The Walking Dead?
I didn't, actually. I get scared easily, so something involving zombies wasn't my first pick for a tv show, haha. But, it was my sister's favorite show for the longest time, so she was stoked when I got the role. And then I did binge several seasons after I was cast to get to know the world and characters.
- Working in The Walking Dead will be a dream for every TWD Fan, what can you say about working with some of this guys?
Oh, that's exactly what it was - a dream. The cast and crew were so welcoming and professional. The sets are beautifully realistic, the camera guys I got to chat with were so grounded and experienced, and it was cool to see how collaborative the writers were with the leads of the show regarding the script. Regarding cast, I think Cassady is just the sweetest little ball of energy I've ever met. Matt was very reserved, but kind. I spent most of my time hanging out with Jackson and Joe on set, and they were just hilarious, always making us laugh. They felt like little brothers to me.
- You had just a little part but the Fans know your End. You one of the Victims of Alpha, one of the heads on the hill. How much has the series The Walking Dead influenced your life? Can you go outside unrecognized ?
Yeah, it's such a wonderful project to have been a small part of, and the fans have been amazing and so kind. On a professional level, more opportunities have definitely opened up for me, and it feels like it's given me a little more credibility as an actor, which I am so grateful for.
Personally, I feel so loved by TWD "family" and community. If I can connect with other people in a way that influences their own life, that's what fulfills me the most. And yes, I can definitely go outside unrecognized, haha. I have had a few people recognize me, but not too many!
- Since 2008 you worked in many series and movies like TWD, Swipe Right, 9-1-1, Coventry and many many more. Whats you favorite role so far?
Oh, I'd say Addy is my favorite role so far! Although it was a small character, I did a ton of work on her story and past, so I felt very connected to her. She was a total badass, so it was really fun stepping into her shoes and also doing stunt/fight choreography. I love when I have the opportunity to do that, especially since I grew up in a big sports family and athleticism was a big part of my upbringing.
- Is there a dream role or actor/actress you would love to work in/with into the future?
I am always getting mistaken for Julia Garner, and I think she's a lovely actress, so I'd love to work with her - perhaps we'd play sisters! She actually looks just like my sister, who has blonde hair.
- Are you currently working on anything interesting Movie or Series outside "The Walking Dead" that you can reveal? On IMDb are some post-production.
I just filmed a role that's different than any character I've ever played, which was a huge challenge and quite terrifying, but I'm really excited for the movie to come out. It's a film called Broadcast Signal Intrusion that we shot in Chicago for a month. It's a conspiracy thriller inspired by a true story of the unsolved Max Headroom tv hijackings in Chicago in the 80s. I can't wait to see how it turns out! I also filmed an episode of a Schooled on ABC called "Lainey's Mom", and that comes out on Wed, April 1st.
- Kelley at the last you can say some words to your fans. Is there anything else you would like to let The Walking Dead Fans and your fans know?
I just want to say thank you for your support & love of the Addy character and my other projects as well! I feel so grateful for being welcomed into the TWD family, and hope that I can bring you characters in other worlds that you connect to as well.
- Thank you being my guest and best wishes for the future. I hope to see you one day in Germany.
Was great talking to you! I definitely want to visit Germany sometime soon (I'm mostly German)!